Friday, November 4, 2011

Dreams of Joy by Lisa See

I so enjoy Lisa See's books I was quite excited her new book was out. This is the follow up to Shanghai girls which I read probably 2 years ago so as I was reading this book I had to stretch my memory quite a bit. I thought this book was so fascinating. I loved learning about life in the farming communes during the Great Leap Forward in China. The communes worked so well in the beginning. It's so sad to see how the corrupt leaders were hoarding food for themselves as the workers were just dying on the side of the road from starvation. If they would have let the farmers do their job the way they know how the great famine could have been prevented. I enjoyed reading from the perspective of both Joy and Pearl since they had such different upbringings. I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment